Thursday, April 26, 2012

An Afternoon Incident

For the first time since "the incident" (so I'm calling it), Will, Tommy, Lilly and I were at Lilly's house. I adore her house. It's spacious, old, and deceptively roomy. It's usually just her and I, though. Her mom gets uppity about people she doesn't know well, people like Will (I find it funny that she's so comfortable with me, considering the things Lilly and I do), but she was gone this afternoon for some reason I didn't entirely pay attention to. Things were excellent for a while. We'd all smoked too much, and Lilly and I decided to introduce Tommy and Will to the joy of watching daytime TV while high. They weren't sure what to think at the beginning. Lilly and I had to take some nasty digs at the hosts and the participants before Will and Tommy realized we were serious and started to join in.

Lilly had gone to get something to snack on; I think she was making popcorn when it happened.

Tommy got it into his head to go join her in the kitchen, probably to grab Lilly while we weren't around. But when he got up from his chair and walked by me, situated on a pillow on the floor, he ran his hand lightly through my hair as he walked by. Will was staring dumb faced into the TV, face blank, as if he'd lost some significant train of thought. Tommy never touches me, and I'm careful not to give him the opportunity. I wanted to hit him, but he was too far away by the time I'd thought of it. I wanted to scream. I sat for a few seconds, trying to concentrate again on the show and think of something witty to say, but I was just... stunned. I got up and left for a cigarette with 30 seconds left on the microwave. I passed by Lilly and Tommy on the way out to the back yard (it's more like a back area), and I saw him kiss her on the forehead.

Will joined me a minute or two after I'd been outside. He said nothing while he lit up. Suddenly, he turned to me, and he said,

"Did Tommy just touch your hair back there?"

"Yeah, I guess." I took a drag big enough to make me cough.

"What was up with that?"

I shook my head, shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, dude. It was weird."

"What do make of that?" Will asked, staring a hole into my cheek while I tried not to look at him.

"I think we're all just too high right now." I said, eventually.

We both laughed, and the subject was dropped.

No comments:

Post a Comment