Saturday, January 28, 2012

How the northern lights made me almost fuck up a car

Even though it's about three in the afternoon, I just rolled myself out of bed. Last night was almost too much to handle. I remember being half asleep and hearing my mom leave for work around 9. Lilly woke up and had to go home around noon. I'm glad she's fine this morning. I think the best way to describe what happened last night would start with the moment I realized my car was off in a field somewhere.

I suddenly came back to my senses around 5:30 in the morning, and all I could think was, "How did I get here? Where am I?" I looked over and saw Lilly in the passenger seat, head titled back, snoring almost imperceptibly. The small, working, logical part of my brain told me that I must have been in a field and that I must not have been far from the road. The exceedingly strange part about this was that there was no field, per se. Instead of grass, I swear I saw the northern lights on the ground. I'm not sure that I could describe it any other way; all I could see were shimmering lights of varying colors right where the grass was supposed to be. Everything else looked fairly normal. I got out of the car as quietly as I could, trying not to wake up Lilly, and suddenly the ground jerked beneath me. I caught myself on the open door, thankfully.
Sometimes, when something really weird starts to happen, my brain rewinds my memory. I think backwards from the last thing I can remember (I picture everything moving in reverse as well), trying to remember how I got here. Really, it's like a really cheesy movie sequence. The very last thing I remembered was driving down the road, acknowledging that the speed limit was 35mph and ignoring it. I remembered getting into the car with Lilly and buckling up. I even remembered leaving Will's house because Lilly was starting to feel weird and wanted to go home. I completely understood - no one wants to start having a bad trip at a friend's house. The only thing I really couldn't push myself to remember was what the hell we were on. I remember Will telling us he'd done it before and saying it "pretty much blows your mind" (to use his words). I remember everything about taking it, and I remember everyone that had been there earlier in the night.

I'm not exactly sure how I got Lilly's car out of that field. I could see a lot of mud caked on the sides from my window this afternoon. She told me she'd hit a car wash on the way home. All I really remember involves a lot of very tense driving, a lot of noise, and very deep breathing. It was 6:24am (according to my microwave) when we crept back into my house. Lilly was pretty much passed out - the car ride had put her right to sleep. She curled up with me and slept till noon. She doesn't snore, ever. She just whimpered a little bit as she was settling back into sleep.
I think my mom called sometime while I was still asleep. I suppose I'll tell her I was outside with a cigarette when the phone rang.

4 comments:

  1. Is this kind of thing a normal occurrence for you? You seem a little nonchalant about the idea of hallucinating and blacking out and driving and taking strange drugs from "friends"....definitely sounds like you could use some help. Or a real friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no, I don't usually hallucinate and blackout. That is not to say, however, that it's never happened before. As for help, I do have access to the professional kind - if that's what you're worried about, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in your knowledge of grass. Is it green? What do the northern lights look like? What about color? -If you remember enough could you describe the fundamentals of color? I've only heard of it in stories. This drug you speak of seems to inhibit some memory sensors. I would suggest adding some Tripines of Sinsidate.. it will allow you to progress through the entire experience knowingly. That is, if you have access to its' creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I'm a little puzzled by your questions, I will answer them one by one:
      1) Grass is usually green. However, when it dies in the winter, it turns yellow or brown. 2) The northern lights are hard to describe. It's like someone has splashed color across the sky, usually green yellow and blue. I don't know how it works, exactly - something about the sun hitting the atmosphere. 3) I'm not sure I could explain color to anyone who hasn't seen it. Everything has a color. It's what makes life vibrant. The primary colors are red, blue, and yellow, and mixing various amounts of these can make just about any other color out there. But I do believe it's something you have to see to fully comprehend. 4) I do not have access to those drugs. In fact, I've never heard of them. I'd be interested to hear more, though.

      Delete